Apr 3, 2011

Mountains


My turn for Tot School again! This time the theme was mountains. I set up a little play tent and made a pretend fire (paper towel rolls, newspaper, and paper "flames") so that the kids could pretend to go camping. They had fun cooking their play food in the fire.


On the first day our project was to make a trail tote. It is an egg carton with each of the holes inside painted a different color. The idea is to take it along on a hike and try to find something to match each of the colors. We have yet to try out our totes, but I'm sure we will soon. Here is T painting his tote.


The inside all painted...


And the label on the outside.


On the second day our project was to make a picture to go along with the song "The Bear Went Over the Mountain". I had the kids color the bear and glue it to a popsicle stick. The mountains were a torn piece of blue paper. We also added trees and a sun. The kids liked singing this song and got it pretty quick because it is mostly the same line over and over again...haha. Here is T putting glue on his mountain. He is really focusing :)


And here's Alli with her mountain and bear almost all finished, just putting on another tree for a finishing touch!



One of the other activities we did was with play-doh to help the kids understand how mountains are made. I gave each of the kids a ball and told them to squish it to make a continent (which conveniently looks like a pancake). Then they crashed their continents together to make mountains.


We also had some yummy snacks. On one day we had trail mix and on another day we had my version of indoor s'mores which is graham crackers spread with Nutella and topped with mini marshmallows. Delicious! Sorry to write about Tot School every time I do it. I just want to remember what I planned for future reference because it takes me a little while to come up with the ideas. Plus, the kids are so cute and fun I can't help but snap pictures!

1 comment:

Itty_Bitty_Wittes said...

B LOOOVED the Trail Mix she still asks about it! :)