Nov 4, 2010

Learning Numbers


A couple of weeks ago it was my turn for tot school again and the theme this time was numbers 1-5. The first project we did was a number chart with a seasonal theme. I cut out shapes of pumpkins, cats, spiders, leaves, and candy using the cricut and then had the kids glue them onto the chart. It worked out really well for me to put glue dots on the paper for the kids and for the kids to pick out the shapes.








The second project was number caterpillars. Alli and Nick really liked this project because they saw a Little Einsteins movie about caterpillars and they have been collecting leaves outside to "feed to the caterpillars".

For playtime I had number file folder games and a number puzzle.
















I also set up a "store". I saved empty cereal boxes, shampoo bottles, egg cartons, etc. and put them all out on a bench. I printed out play money and gave the kids each $5. I told them that everything was $1 and they could each pick out 5 items. It worked for about 2 seconds and then it turned into a free-for-all with the kids grabbing anything they could and not caring at all about the money (they even started stealing items from eachother)! They really liked this game and ended up playing it for the majority of the time each day, but I don't think they really got the counting concept from it. Ha ha...maybe when they're a little older or one-on-one. I'm just glad it kept them busy and happy.







































No comments: